INLAND EMPIRE


Unless you're a hardcore David Lynch fan, I would not recommend seeing INLAND EMPIRE. I am not a hardcore Lynch fan, but I have appreciated a number of his films and The Straight Story is one of my favourite films of all time, so I thought I'd check it out.

I'm not sorry I watched it, which is a rare comment from me on a film I will probably never want to see again, but it was just too obscure for me (and I enjoy obscure arthouse films). It's impossible to spoil a film like this by telling you what happened, but since I don't know what happened in the film, I won't bother trying to describe it. If any reader of this blog has seen the film and would like to enlighten me, I would welcome this. In the meantime, I'll just say that I did enjoy certain scenes and Laura Dern was terrific. But three hours is way too much time to spend on watching a film with no discernable characters, let alone a plot.

Sorry, David, I kinda liked Mulholland Dr., but my mug is down on this one. **+

Comments

  1. OK - I'm convinced. Of course, I was largely convinced as soon as you mentioned David Lynch (though I agree on Straight Story). I still have to wonder about the ratings after trashing the movie. Two and half stars for what you describe? Of course, I keep forgetting to rate them at all. I think I'll go back and add them. So check out some of them and maybe we'll finally give our first official "Two Mugs Up." I nominate Stranger than Fiction for this honour.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts