Lars and the Real Girl

Finally, I'm inspired enough to write something. Lars and the Real Girl is a real gem, with a lot of the qualities that I love in a movie: characters I can relate to, real humour, good story, strong sense of community and a therapist. There are enough little surprises to keep it from being too predictable. The movie could be a Garrison Keillor story.

Delusional disorder, which the movie explores, is not as commonly seen as other disorders that have had movies made of them - certainly not cases with such a striking delusion as this. So it's hard to vouch for the realism of the story, but it seems plausible. It's hard to say too much as it's best seen without hearing too much in advance.

What I will say, is that it serves as a great example - in some ways a metaphor - of an integrated community/professional therapy experience. I read a review where someone said he would like to go to a place where people treated you that way. I would say that I would like to be a part of a community (and I think I am) where people treat each other that way.

Comments

  1. I love that you guys post these. I keep adding the movies you recommend to my list... :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts