Roma



Wow! Two in a row, as I catch up on film-viewing back in Winnipeg (though this one is on Netflix).

I believe Alfonso Cuarón’s Roma will eventually be hailed as one of the greatest works of cinematic art ever made - a masterpiece in the grand tradition of Bergman and Tarkovsky. The black & white cinematography is as sublime as anything you will ever see (no surprise from Cuarón, who does his own cinematography), with the camera frequently panning slowly back and forth as life in Mexico City in 1970/71 unfolds in front of it in almost documentary fashion. Indeed, the period feel is beyond anything I have experienced before - it’s like Cuarón was able to travel back in time and film it live; absolutely extraordinary. 

The story, which is semi-autographical, shows us a year in the life of an upper-middle class family in Mexico City through the eyes of one of the family’s live-in maids, the young Mixteco woman, Cleo Gutierrez (played perfectly by Yalitza Aparicio). Cleo’s life takes an unexpected turn when she gets pregnant and we follow her through her pregnancy and the dramatic events that follow. 

Roma is part slice-of-life and part epic, with numerous moving and dramatic moments interspersed between the shots of daily routine. Meanwhile, outside of the family life (but occasionally touching it directly) there are violent student protests - it is a tumultuous period in Mexico’s history. 

The acting by all concerned (with a special nod to the children) is exceptional and natural. I won’t mention all the actors in what is essentially an ensemble film. 

Perhaps I’ve said enough about this stunningly beautiful film except to note why it won’t be at the top of my favourite-film list for 2018 (it will definitely be in my top five). I have no doubt that I will consider Roma to be the best film made in 2018 (one of the best of the century), but being the best film doesn’t make it my favourite film (as I have explained before). The story of Roma and its numerous characters simply didn’t engage me at a deep enough level to become my favourite film of the year. Nevertheless, a very easy ****. My mug is held high in gratitude to Cuarón for blessing us with another marvellous film.

BTW The title refers to the neighbourhood in Mexico City (Colonia Roma) where most of the film is set. 

Comments

Popular Posts